Moomy Savings : Run To AFPCES

This is one of the perks when you or at least a family member works for the government.

Growing up in a civilian family, I know little of the existence of this store inside a military facility (or perhaps I really don’t care at all). But since my husband and I got together 5 years ago, I was introduced to this service inside the AFP Medical Center (AFPMC) where he used to live. The one in AFPMC is not fancy at all–no aircon, small aisles, no shopping bags, no bagger, etc. But there is one thing that you would love about going here: the price.

Last Saturday was the second time I brought Noa to the Armed Forces of the Philippines Commissary and Exchange Services (AFPCES) in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City. If I’m not mistaken, there are 2 AFPCES inside Camp Aguinaldo. We usually go to the one near Gates 5 & 6. However, last Saturday, they ran out of “L” Drypers Wee Wee Dry so I asked my Dad to drive us to the bigger AFPCES which is near the main gate.

The aisle of AFPCES near Gates 5 & 6

Much to my surprise, a lot of things already changed. At first, I did not recognize it since I am used to finding the entrance on a secondary road. I was told by a man I spoke with that since December 2011, the new and improved AFPCES moved its entrance door to the main road. And now, they have glass walls, just like your favorite supermarket. It’s now air-conditioned, wider aisles, but still no bagger and shopping bags.

The aisle of the new AFPCES near the main gate of Camp Aguinaldo

I mix feed my daughter Noa, who is turning 9 months on Wednesday and she likes Wyeth’s Promil Gold. I get the 1.6 kilograms of Promil Gold from Mercury Drugstore, SM or Puregold Supermarket for at most PHP1,700+ per can! But everytime we go to AFPCES, we can only get it for P1,481! If you do the Math, you can save up to P300!

Diapers are also cheaper here. You name the nappy and they have it! We are proud users of Drypers Wee Wee Dry and the next best thing for us is Huggies Dry Comfort. This commissary houses them both including EQ, Pampers & Prokids.

They also sell baby foods like Nestle Cerelac or Promina.

Here’s more of EQ, Drypers and Huggies.

But how would you explain such low price for these baby goods? This signage will speak for itself.

The most basic question I receive when my mommy friends learn this is : Is it open to the public?

With my experience in buying from the AFPCES in AFPMC, they required me to use a Purchase Card and the availability of my government-issued ID for validation. I even remember reading a posted rule before that buyers are limited to P5,000 purchase a day. Some people abuse this subsidy from the government by reselling the stuff in their Sari-Sari Store.

The point I’m trying to drive at here is that, I’m thankful for this facility because it really helps our family to save more, especially when buying my daughter’s needs. So I’m encouraging those who are eligible and have access to this facility to utilize it because you will make the most out of your household budget.

As of writing this entry, I’m open for more information and other important details pertaining to the AFPCES. I’m not an expert on this, thus, feedback is highly appreciated. You can help me and my readers by commenting after this post. I only wrote based on my personal experience. πŸ™‚

13 comments

1. aristotle a rodriguez says:

saan po ba ko pwede maka kuha ng passess para maka avail din ako na maka bili jan.I am a military reservist..thanks..

2. Ruth says:

Sino po ang mga authorised customers? Yung purchase card po ba,kylangan card holder lng ang gagamit o pwede ibang kapamilya?

3. jun says:

Thanks for your writings abt afpces. Would you know if afpces-main at camp Aguinaldo is open on regular Saturdays, I mean if it isn’t a holiday? God bless.

• Moomy Musings says:

Hello, Romeli! I don’t know if I could answer it very precisely, but let me try. As far as my knowledge is concerned, AFP has 3 branches of services and has their own respective headquarters and adjutants offices. The adjutants office is where all IDs are being requested for and processed, including the active personnel, dependents, civilian employees and reservists. The requirements are marriage contract for spouse, birth certificate for kids, appointment order or CAD of your husband/wife for officer or reenlistment order for NCOs. You also need to attach a 2×2 picture (white background and in a semi/formal outfit. Hope that helps. Email me if you need more info, I’d gladly tell you more about my story on getting an ID. πŸ™‚

4. Baltazar Cupido says:

Madam maraming salamat po sa good review about AFPCES at higit sa lahat maraming salamat po sa pagtangkilik sa AFPCES. Bagaman karamihan sa branches ng AFPCES ay hindi pa po airconditioned ang bukod tangi lang po namin maipagmamalaki ang sobrang baba ng presyo ng aming mga produkto as compared sa ibang mga groceries at supermarkets. Sana ay maunawaan din po ng aming mga minamahal na authorized customers ang hindi pa kagandahang ventilation sa loob ng selling area particularly d2 sa AFPCES AFPMC. Ganunpaman, ang pamunuan ng AFPCES ay may magandang plano para tugunan ang suliranin pagdating sa ventilation. Ang MAIN AFPCES po namin sa Camp Aguinaldo ay airconditioned kaya nererecommend ko po sa lahat ng authorized customers na duon mamili kase convenient po duon mag grocery at halos lahat ng mga basic commodities ay available po sa kanila. Sana ay patuloy nyo pong tangkilikin ang afpces sa kabila ng aming mga kakulangan. Umasa po kayo na kaming mga empleyado ng AFPCES ay lubos na nagsisikap upang pagandahin ang aming serbisyo para po sa inyong aming mga minamahal na mamili. Maraming salamat po uli. God bless

• Glaiza Garcia-Tominio says:

Hello Sir! Maraming salamat po sa inyong komento! πŸ™‚ Bilang isang military dependent, nagpapasalamat po ako ng malaki sa paglilingkod ninyo sa pamamagitan ng AFPCES. Malaking tulong po ito sa mga pamilyang gaya namin upang makatipid sa pang araw-araw na budget ng pamilya. Saludo po ako sa mga pagbabagong nakikita ko lalo sa V.Luna. Lagi po akong nandyan para mamili. πŸ™‚

• Erin says:

Sir, how many days will it take for the application for AFPCES purchase card to be processed?When I submitted my application and asked for the time frame I was told that those who applied last January weren’t released yet. Bakit ang tagal naman po? This will be a big help to my family if I will be issued one. Thank you!

5. bebeng says:

I should ask my jowa to bring me there. I get the hype whenever I do grocery-shopping. πŸ™‚

Nakakadisappoint naman the people who use the goods for their own sari-sari store. Tsk, tsk. And then they will all say na gobyerno ang corrupt. Sadly, that’s the reality.

6. Ria D. Laab says:

woooow sosyal na ang afces nila! parang grocery na nga talaga.hehehe i think lahat ata ng afpces branch eh nirevamp nila.

yes they have a card that you show when you purchase, pero dito sa amin eh bigla nalang hindi na nila hinahanap ang card. at yes, meron mga hindi dependents na dun na namimili ng mga binibenta nila sa mga tindahan nila. hoarding nga eh. and the 5,000php limit is also applied.

when you go to afpces, don’t forget to bring you own plastic bag or re usable bag. πŸ™‚