What? Me? A Mompreneur?!

Exactly a week ago, my life turned upside down (in a good way) when the Mary Pauline Salon Branch first opened its doors to clients. I’m grateful to God for all the blessings and opportunities that came my way this 2013. I’m a newbie to the salon business but I draw courage from the overwhelming assistance and support of my family, and my good friend, Mary Pauline Danga-Obias.

photo courtesy of mommyposh.com

My life was OK before the salon opened — I blog, teach foreign students, and accept paid article writing for a few brands. Yes, I’ve been living an OK life and enjoying it. But since the salon opened, I have to reconsider my priorities and rearrange my schedule all over again. Only one thing did not move from the erratic list: my husband and my daughter.

I’ve featured quite a few mompreneurs in this blog and I never thought that one day I’d be “interviewing myself” and share these thoughts to my readers. You could not really “feel” for the mompreneurs until you become one yourself.

There are several things I realized about myself in this transition that I want to share with you. If you’re a mompreneur or wanting to become a mompreneur, I hope you can find bits of encouragement and lesson from my own experience.

1. Encourage yourself. When you’re starting your own business or already have one, your self should be your number one encourager. There are times that you are there alone, sitting down and looking at your business stats, wondering if you will succeed or fail. Bring tons of positivity in your mind and don’t lose heart.
  2. Accept the fact that the challenging stage in any business is to begin. People need time to familiarize themselves with your product or service. Be very patient! You need to let them know that your business exists. During the first few days, it is normal to be with little or no sales or revenue at all.
  3. Love your business. This is what my husband left me with before he flew back to serve in his workplace. As much as possible, please see to it that you know even the littlest up to the major details in your business. Get down and know the people behind your business. Be a hands-on mompreneur.
  4. Pray, pray, pray. Include your business in your daily prayers. Every morning before I head to the salon, I utter a prayer in my heart to bless the business, the clients that would be coming in, and the people I’m working with.
  5. Always be teachable and humble. Invest in your mind as a mompreneur. Don’t be shy to ask questions and be ready to accept corrections and relevant feedback from the people around you.

I still have a long way to go and I still have tons to learn. One thing I’m sure of: I’ll do my very best to make this opportunity count. I’m treating this business like my third child (this blog is my second) and I’d nurture it the way I nurture the people and things I love.
I hope you pay a visit to the Mary Pauline Salon soon. πŸ™‚

MARY PAULINE SALON

Website: http://marypaulinesalon.com.ph/

19 comments

• GGT says:

Hi Lexi! Thanks for dropping by! Onga eh, nakakapagod din pero it’s ok, need ng growing family. Kaya mo yan once the opportunity comes knocking, go lang ng go! Masarap sa feeling yung kasama mo sa work ang anak mo. πŸ™‚

1. Mommy Margaux says:

hi! thanks for spreading the word about Breastfeeding Marikenyas! πŸ™‚

where is your salon located? i would love to try it out sometime soon. mommy needs a haircut. hehe.

i can relate to your post, btw. i just recently launched my online store for breastfeeding needs. πŸ™‚

2. Mom On Duty says:

Congratulations, Mommy Glaiza! Sabi ko kay hubby buti ka pa nagkaroon ng lakas ng loob mag-open ng business. I was about to get a franchise last January, kaso bigla akong naduwag. Hehe. And sakto ha- I’m looking for a salon kasi gusto ko magpa-rebond and color. I’m thinking of visiting yours! πŸ™‚

• GGT says:

Hi Kim! Sige punta ka lang. Email me in case you need directions. You’re from Cainta di ba? Madali na lang from Sta.Lucia Mall. πŸ™‚

3. Joan Estacio says:

wow! congrats to you dear!! it’s a long way indeed but with your passion and determination , pasasaan ba at matututunan mo rin lahat!!! Good Luck to you and more power!!! Hoping you’ll share every success you encountered bec little know, you are inspiring each and everyone of us!!!

lovelots;

• GGT says:

Hi Joan! Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words. Onga eh, konting tyaga pa. I’m praying for God’s help in this new milestone. God bless your family! πŸ™‚

4. Mona Lisa Valle says:

Mommy Glai,

First of all, congratulations on your new baby!

I’ve been dying to have a new haircut (and footspa + pedi too!) and I am so glad Des and I were able to visit you and your salon today. Unfortunately, I was wearing closed shoes so the footspa + pedi I were dreaming of were set aside. :)) Needless to say, both my mom and I really really really love our new haircuts! Plus, we didn’t break our wallets. You’ve got yourself two new regular clients! πŸ˜‰

Just in case you need help for the ‘opening’, I am more than willing to extend support. Way to go Mommy! Kindly extend my gratitude to your staff. πŸ™‚

• GGT says:

Hi Moma! Balik lang kayo anytime, andun naman ako most of the time. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. Kisses to Oppa Gangnam Girl Abrielle! πŸ™‚

• GGT says:

Thanks Gen! Naku namiss kita bigla! I hope magkita ulet tayo one of these days! Your blog is doing very great ha! Keep it up! πŸ™‚

5. rhodora dacanay says:

hi mommy/sis!!! meron nanaman akongna pulot na aral d2 sa blog mo…as you know im going to open up also a business which is the barber shop.. i know its a boy thing but this is my husband request, and he want also to help his cousin who suggested the barber shop..many negative thoughts comes in my mind..panu kng walng magpagupit? e d walang kita?haay kakaloka…mabuti na lng anjan ka atleast meron na akong idea on how this business goes..meron na rin kaming barbers chair..hehehehe..thanks mommy for sharing…i will ask my frend there in antipolo to visit Mary Pualine Salon marikina branch soon!! dami ako frend jan e,particularly in cogeo!! πŸ˜‰ more power and God Bless!!!