Passion and Purpose: The Mark of a Mompreneur
Janice Crisostomo Villanueva, Founder of Mompreneur Manila
The term “mompreneur” still befuddles many people to this day. Being a mom is the most difficult job in the world, and it is almost unimaginable for some to be able to address their parental duties while running a successful business.
What some don’t realize, however, is that moms are naturals in running a business. “Moms possess most of the abilities that make an ideal entrepreneur,” says Janice Crisostomo Villanueva, founder of Mompreneur Manila. Armed with passion, moms have that inherent desire to prove that they can be competent on various fields of their interest, on top of being an active and successful homemaker.
Evidently, more women are finding their niche in running their own businesses: According to figures recently released by Samahan ng mga Pilipina para sa Reporma at Kaunlaran (SPARK), women-owned businesses account for more than 40% of entrepreneurial activity in the Philippines.
The challenges of motherhood require moms to act effectively in challenging situations and find a way to make things work by using the resources at their disposal. Similarly, entrepreneurs must also possess the ability to act in situations wherein there are no obvious solutions, and overcome problems that push most people to give up.
When it comes to passion as a motivating force, mothers know best. From the moment their child is born, mothers make sacrifices to give their young ones the best possible life. They strive to keep themselves focused and driven to pursue what’s in their heart and what they believe in whether it be for their children or for their livelihood. Entrepreneurship requires the same degree of passion, and the resilience that enables them to pursue their goals.
This year, Mompreneur Manila is paying tribute once more to the passion, talent and creativity of mom entrepreneurs at the 2nd Mompreneur Summit, happening on September 14 at the Blue Leaf, Bonifacio Global City. “Once again, we will be gathering the most active, dynamic and creative mom entrepreneurs in the Philippines. With talks by successful influential businesswomen such as Anne Arcenas-Gonzalez of Havaianas Philippines and Jenni Epperson, celebrity blogger and stylist, we will discuss how we can channel pure passion to drive our businesses towards success,” says Villanueva.
Furthermore, she adds, “We are also looking forward to learning about purposeful branding from award-winning Tshirt designer AJ Dimarucot and wife cum business partner Audrey, the creative couple behind the brand Googoo&gaga. Joy Abaquin, educator and entrepreneurship advocate will tell us how to utilize our “smarts” or natural gifts for successful business. Lastly a returning speaker, fellow advocate and mentor, Amor Maclang will share how her company, GeiserMaclang, has lived by its purpose: to do well while doing good.”
The summit is set to encourage more and more mompreneurs to discover and further develop their passion and also find purpose in their trade. Featuring a workshop on finding the meaning behind one’s business, this year’s summit will discuss points that go above and beyond entrepreneurial success.
Furthermore, this year’s summit’s main highlight is also the 1st Mompreneur Awards, where the hard work, passion and innovation of successful mompreneur-led businesses will be given recognition.
During the event, awards will be presented to the most admired mompreneurs in the following categories: Brand Positioning and Strategy, Brand and Product Innovation, PR and Word of Mouth Marketing, Web and Social Media Marketing, Social Mompreneurship and Advocacy. Nominations are now being accepted at www.mompreneurmanila.com/awards.
This year’s Mompreneur Summit is geared at helping moms search for the significance of their pursuit and help them understand how important the role of a mompreneur is—not just to their family, but to society as well. To register for the 2nd Mompreneur Summit, log on to www.mompreneurmanila.com. For further information call 5707827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Moms make the most passionate, determined, focused and empowered entrepreneurs,” says Villanueva. “With pure passion and a strong purpose leading us, we can make our mark in this world as women, as moms, and as entrepreneurs.”
The 2nd Mompreneur Summit is an event of Mompreneur Manila and Mommy Mundo, the go-to resource for modern, active moms. It is co-presented by the Blue Leaf Events Pavilion and Avida Land. Supported by GeiserMaclang, logistics partner Creative Juice Events, and media partners Working Mom Magazine, Health Today, Moms Today, Urban Mom, Mommy Pages, When in Manila, and the Lifestyle Network.
The 2013 Mompreneur Awards
1. The nominee must be an active mom with a successful business. She should have been actively engaged in her business for at least 1 year from July 2013.
2. She should personally own the business, or be part owner thereof, and play an active part in its operations.
1. Nominations can be done by any individual as long as he / she has the required information needed to complete the nomination form.
2. Nominees may be categorized to excel in at least one (1) of the following:
–Brand Positioning & strategy
–Brand and Product innovation
–PR and Word of mouth marketing
–Web and Social media marketing
–Social mompreneurship and advocacy
3. Nominations will be accepted until 11:59pm of August 21, 2013. Incomplete nomination forms will be deemed invalid.
4. All information gathered will be kept confidential.
5. The organizers reserve the right to conduct further research to verify information submitted through the nomination if necessary.
1. All submitted forms will undergo careful evaluation by the organizers and panel of judges.
2. After evaluation, shortlisted nominees will be asked to submit supporting documents such as DTI and/or SEC articles of incorporation, and also answer essay questions, which will form part of credentials for the evaluation of her nomination.
3. Failure to comply with requirements may result in disqualification.
4. The list of shortlisted nominees will be deemed semi-finalists and names will be posted on the Mompreneur Manila website and Facebook page and go through public voting starting August 27 and ending on September 10, 2013.
Online Vote and Judging:
1. The panel of judges includes the following:
- Josiah Go, Chairman and Chief Marketing Strategist, Mansmith and Fielders, Inc.
- Amor Maclang, Director of PR and Communications, Geiser Maclang Marketing Communications
- Anton Diaz, founder, Our Awesome Planet & co-founder, Mercato Centrale
- Janette Toral, founder Digital Filipino
- Krie Reyes- Lopez, founder, Messy Bessy
- Janice Villanueva, Founder, Mommy Mundo and Mompreneur Manila
2. The final results of awards will be based on the following percentages:
–Judges Voting 80%
–Online Voting 20%
- The announcement and awarding of winners will happen at the 2nd Mompreneur Summit on September 14, 2013 happening at the Blue Leaf at Bonifacio Global city.
- Awardees per category will receive the following:
- Plaque or trophy
- An advertising and marketing package from Mommy Mundo for 1 year worth P100,000
- Access to mentorship by Mompreneur Manila panel of experts and mentors