Blame it to Josie Geller, played by Drew Barrymore of the movie Never Been Kissed last night at My Movie Channel (Channel 25 at Sky Cable) for taking me back in time. I’ve watched this movie several times already and I never get tired of it. It’s one of my favorite chick flicks when I was in High School (not so long ago, heehee!)
I watched this movie again last night and I’ve never felt this emo. I should say perhaps that I could relate to Josie in several ways, which made me teary-eyed towards the end of my movie viewing.
Never Been Kissed still lingers in my head until now as I prepare for lunch. I envy Josie because she had a way to redeem her tragic and traumatic high school life because of her work as a newspaper reporter. I am thankful that I also have a way to these feelings out through this little blog.
10 High School Memories Confession
- Party more! Haha! Yes, I’m a self-confessed geek, taong library. I wish I’d hang out more after classes than going straight home. I also wish I had even a little love life. Dumped a boy automatically even before he can ask because I thought he wasn’t serious. HAHA!
- I was semi-bullied through a prank in high school by some girl classmates who I thought were my friends when I was a freshman. This bunch of girls intentionally wanted me to get lost in the mall after watching a movie. Little did they know that I know that mall like the back of my hand. I never trusted them again.
- I wish I was invited by my all-time crush to the Senior Prom. But she had a girlfriend. Sweet! This male friend still doesn’t know until now that I had a big crush on him. Peace, hubby! 🙂 I wish I wasn’t a wallflower that night. I wish I had accepted a date. I really didn’t like attending the prom, I only attended because if I don’t, I would be marked, “ABSENT.” I don’t know where this guy is now.
- I was taken out as a date by the son of our librarian who’s studying in a nearby exclusive school. When I asked why in the world did mommy librarian choose me? She said, “You had more books than face powder and a hairbrush in your bag.” But after escorting her son, I never got back to or communicated with him. I wish I did so we could be friends. Until now I think I was a bad date. If you happen to be reading this, “Hi!” 🙂
- The worst thing I did in High School was actually to put extra ingredient in a baby powder bottle that we constantly give to our teacher when she asks some from me and a best girlfriend. Oopps, did I just say chalk dust? :p Sorry! (Let me qualify: She kept on asking baby powder from us ALL THE TIME!)
- I wish I took recess as a time to chat and make new friends than going to the library. I rush to the library all the time to renew my borrowed supplementary books on Ibong Adarna and Florante at Laura. I only eat at the cafeteria on lunch time.
- I wish I enjoyed all the booths during the School Fair (Foundation Day) rather than staying at our homeroom chatting about the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys.
- I wish I always take the last trip of my school service to enjoy that company of my mga ka-service because we always do a food trip on Friday afternoons.
- I wish I ate more Beef Steak during lunch at our cafeteria. I terribly miss it. I also wish I knew who stole my ponkan. :p
- I wish I had spent more time getting to know more of my classmates. Some of them, we lost along the way during high school, while some, shortly after. I’m just so happy to have found a Facebook Group now where I could get in touch with them. I’m happy to see that a lot have gotten married and started their own family.
I don’t think that I had a terrible high school life. I just wished I made it more colorful like a rainbow. I’m a geek to the core and I am not afraid to admit it.
In the coming years, my daughter will start going to school and I hope she build wonderful memories. I pray to God that I’d be there for her every step of the way. I know she’ll have her Josie Geller moments but I will do my best to assure her that she’s unique, loved and wonderfully made.
What’s your memory of high school? Join the trail if you’re a blogger or just a muser like me wanting to reminisce, celebrate the good, and somehow redeem bad high school memories. ♥
“…. All of you people, there is a big world out there… bigger than prom, bigger than high school and it won’t matter if you were the prom queen, the quarterback of the football team, or the biggest nerd in school. Find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it.” –Josie Geller